We invite you to participate in this free program which encourages you to read 1000 Books Before Kindergarten®
Reading is Vital
Help your children succeed by strengthening their language skills and vocabulary simply by reading to them. Reading is a key indicator in later academic success of children. Plus reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding and creating lifelong memories. But as many as one in five children in our nation have difficulties learning to read. So help us combat this by reading!
The Concept is Simple, the Rewards are Priceless
Read a book, any book, to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. The goal is to have read 1000 books (even if they're repeats) before your precious one starts kindergarten.
It sounds difficult to achieve! But reading just 1 book a night will surpass 1000 books in three years. If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think to complete this. So get reading!
How to Participate
- Read with your child.
- Keep track of the books that you read by coloring in a star on our log sheet (link to printable log sheet below).
- Checkout our virtual storytimes on Facebook (books read at storytimes count!)
- Once you've read 100 books and completed a log sheet, turn in your log sheet.
- You can return your log sheet by emailing a picture of the completed log to library@cityofcamas OR dropping off your log sheet in our book return.
- Then print another log sheet and repeat until you reach 1000 books.
- After completing 1000 books, your child will receive a prize and certificate! When you turn in your last log sheet you will be contacted by the library to arrange a time to pick up your prize.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten® is a registered trademark of the 1000 Books Foundation, used with permission.