Reminder for the Holiday Garbage Pick Up 2016
- Martin Luther King Jr Day, Monday, January 18th, pick up is Tuesday, January 19th
- Presidents' Day, Monday, February 15th, pick up is Tuesday, February 16th
- Memorial Day, Monday, May 30th, pick up is Tuesday May 31st
- Independence Day, Monday, July 4th, pick up is Tuesday, July 5th
- Labor Day Monday, September 5th, pick up is Tuesday September 6th
- Veterans' Day, Friday November 11th, pick up is Monday, November 14th
- Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 24th, pick up is Monday, November 28th
- Day after Thanksgiving, Friday, November 25th, pick up is Tuesday, November 29th
- Christmas Day, (observed) Monday, December 26th, pick up is Tuesday, December 27th
- New Year's Day, (observed) Monday, January 2nd, pick up is Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017
The city will be sponsoring one household recycling day offered to Camas residents living within city limits, on April 16th, 2016, at the Operations Center located at 1620 SE Eighth Avenue, Camas, WA. We will not accept hazardous waste at this site. Our city yard debris event is also on April 16th, 2016, offered to Camas residents living within city limits and requires a coupon.The yard debris disposal location is at Triangle Resources, 612 SE Union St. Camas, WA.
Green Neighbors Recycling Day Events: Clark County, the cities of Battle Ground, Camas, La Center, Ridgefield, Vancouver and Washougal and the town of Yacolt are hosting Recycling Day Events in 2015. See flyer, or for more information call 360-397-2121, extension 4352.
Paper Recycling Tips:
- Recyclable paper includes: magazines and catalogs, telephone books, direct mail, brochures, pamphlets, and booklets, in addition to cereal, cake, chip and cracker boxes.
- Be sure to remove the liner and all food from the box, flatten the box and place flattened box in a paper sack with your junk mail, mixed paper, magazines and catalogs.
- Non-recyclable paper includes tissue, waxed and carbon paper.
The Sanitation Department provides scheduled curbside refuse collection services for every residential household, public school, public building and business in Camas. Residential curbside sites are collected either once a week, or every other week pick up, depending on individual need. Commercial pick up is available five times a week Monday-Friday.
Sanitation Service Information
Roll out cans ranging from 35, 65, and 95 gallon are available for our customers. Larger containers are available in sizes 300 gallons (1.5 yards) and 450 gallons (2.0 yards) for residential and commercial for temporary use in clean up that goes beyond homeowner‘s and business’ regular garbage pick-up.
You may also call to change your garbage can size. There is a service fee for delivery of the new can. If you are wanting to make changes to your account call the Finance Department at 360-834-2462. Christmas tree pick-up and extra bags/household appliances larger than a normal garbage can should be set outside next to your refuse can (an extra fee will be charged for each bag/item left outside your can).
The City of Camas encourages its residents to reduce waste, reuse goods whenever possible, and recycle. For some great ideas on recycling your household items go to Wastes - What You Can Do.
Collection and Holiday Schedule
For information on when to place your refuse and recyclables out for every other week collection, go to the Garbage Collection Calendar. If your collection day falls on a holiday, please place the roller cart at the curb on the following business day. Note: Thanksgiving Day pick-up will be on the following Monday, and the Friday after Thanksgiving Day pick-up will be on the following Tuesday. Make sure to put your can out by 6:30 a.m. on your scheduled pick up day, otherwise a return pick-up fee may be assessed. During snow operations, residents may experience disruption in collection service.
Amazing Facts About Your Sanitation Department
Camas has four sanitation workers driving in four Heil 7000 automated side loaders.
Our crew picks up in excess of one million pounds of refuse/month, which is equal to 490-600 tons/month.
Combined miles traveled within our City by our sanitation trucks each week is approximately 1,466 for a total of 76,232 miles per year!
All in a day…. The most garbage picked up in one day by our four man crew - was 76.9 tons in 10 hours and 15 minutes, including trips to the transfer site.
Our trucks can empty a garbage can in six seconds (or less), with the lid shut and the can back in place.
Our trucks can compact at an average of 5 to 1 (ie, they can compact 5 garbage cans worth of material into the space of one can) the trucks have an eighteen cubic yard hauling capacity.
It takes under three minutes to empty the truck at the transfer site (after weighing in).
The truck's lift arm can lift up to one ton.
The trucks have cameras to show the material emptying out of the cans, which helps the driver know when a can is empty.
All of our trucks have cameras on the rear of the truck to aid in backing up safely.